Tender chicken breasts, coasted in crispy panko breadcrumbs. These oven baked chicken schnitzel are just as delicious as their fried counterparts but lower in fat.
Like my oven baked pork schnitzels these chicken schnitzels make a great midweek meal. Cooked in the oven rather than shallow fried they are much lower in fat than when made the traditional way so it makes them a healthier choice too.
For these schnitzels I have used Panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs, which have a delicious light crispy texture which compliments the soft tender chicken. You can find these in the supermarket or Asian stores. You can use regular dried crumbs but I really think these are worth seeking out.
The crumbs are mixed with dried sage for added flavour. Other herbs you may like to try which work well are thyme and oregano.
You can prepare the chicken schnitzels up to 24 hours ahead which is often handy.
- Family Favourite
- Quick and Easy
- Prepare ahead
Serving Suggestion for baked Chicken schnitzel
I have served these with oven baked sweet potatoes and potato wedges. To compliment the schnitzel, I tossed a mixture of sweet and regular potatoes cut into wedges with some dried sage garlic and a little olive oil to coat, then roasted them in the oven for 35 minutes with the chicken schnitzel on the shelf above.
Avocado and Sweetcorn Salsa alongside completes the meal.
Other serving Suggestions
- New potatoes and salad
- Oven Roasted Chips, peas and tomatoes
- Light Waldorf Salad
- Roast Pumpkin with chilli and sage
I don't think you need a sauce with schnitzel although a squeeze of lemon juice over the schnitzel is always a good thing. If you want a sauce a creamy mushroom sauce or an onion gravy would work well.
How to make a traditional Fried Chicken Schnitzel
Simply prepare as below and shallow fry in a heavy based frying pan (skillet) with about 1½ cm (¾ in) of oil. (I use cold pressed rapeseed oil.) When the oil is hot, (drop a few bread crumbs in the oil they should sizzle straight away), fry two schnitzels at a time for 6 minutes, turning once, until crisp and golden.
Step by Step Oven Baked Chicken Schnitzel
Oven Baked Chicken Schnitzel
- 4 chicken breasts skinned and boned
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp plain flour all purpose
- 1 egg
- 1–2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (180℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark Lightly grease a baking sheet with a little oil and place in the oven too heat while preparing the schnitzel.
- Place each chicken breast between two sheets of cling film and beat with the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin to flatten to about 1cm (½in thick).
- Combine the breadcrumbs, seasoning and sage in a shallow dish. Place the flour in another dish and add the egg to another. Lightly beat the egg with a fork to break up.
- Coat the flattened chicken breasts lightly with flour, dip into the beaten egg, then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place the chicken on the hot baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and return to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the chicken schnitzel over and bake for a further 10 minutes or until cooked though, golden and crisp.