These oven roasted chips taste fantastic and are lower in fat than conventional chips.
They make a much healthier and tasty alternative to chip shop chips or ready prepared oven chips. Quick and easy to make with just 4 ingredients and did I mention they taste fantastic!
- Family Favourite
- Quick and Easy to prepare
- Lower Fat
Theys are so simple make and so delcious, that they have become the most popular way to cook potatoes in our house.
Lots of Variations
As with many of the dishes, I cook again and again, its very easy to vary the recipe for these potato wedges depending on your own tastes or mood.
Generally, we just use regular potatoes, but a mixture of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes adds extra colour and flavour to this simple dish.
As for the herbs I often use mixed herbs although just recently oregano with a pinch of chilli flakes is going down well with everyone.
Rosemary with lots of garlic is also very popular in our house. I use chopped fresh herbs when I have them but more often than not it's dried herbs as this is a regular go to recipe using ingredients we always have to hand.
Whichever you choose they are very quick to prepare. Peel the potatoes (if desired) then cut into wedges and toss in flavoured oil. Spread out in a single layer on an oven sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, turning once, and the job is done. Yes, it really is that easy. The only thing to watch out for is to not overcrowd the tray so that the potatoes brown evenly.
A note about quantities
Use the quantities given as a guide, they are about right for four average adults when served as an accompaniment to a main dish.
However anyone who has lived with teenagers will know that their ability to eat chips is almost limitless, so you may well want to up the quantity when serving to hungry teenagers.
It's very easy to up the quantity and you don't need to be too exact, you just need enough oil to lightly coat the potatoes.
Oven roasted chips
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750 g potatoes peeled and cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (190°C Fan)/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Place the oil in a mixing bowl with the garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix together with a fork.
- Prepare the potatoes and add to the bowl. Toss until well coated in the flavoured oil.
- Spread out in a single layer on a large baking tray.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes until tender and golden, turning over after about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.