Who can resist a quick chicken dish that can be on the table in about 30 minutes? This Chicken and Broccoli au Gratin is just the type of recipe I like to make midweek. Filling and tasty, I used to make it with chicken breasts but these seem to be getting so expensive these days now I make it with Chicken thighs instead. In fact, I am beginning to switch to chicken thighs more and more in my dishes as not only are they better for the family budget they often taste better and are less prone to becoming dry during cooking.
- Family Favourite
- Midweek meal
Chicken and Broccoli Au Gratin Step by Step
Chicken and Broccoli Au Gratin
- 225 g broccoli florets
- 25 g butter
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 8 chicken thigh fillets cut into cubes
- 1 onion sliced
- 40 g plain flour
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 75 g cheddar cheese grated
- 75 g fresh breadcrumbs
- Cook broccoli for 5 minutes in lightly salted boiling water, until only just tender. Drain well and place in a shallow flameproof dish.
- Heat the butter and the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the onions for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken and continue to fry until the chicken is cooked about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk and stock stirring well. Bring gently to the boil stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. pour the chicken mixture over the broccoli.
- Mix together cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over chicken dish. Place under a preheated grille and cook until the cheese melts and the topping is golden and crisp.
- Don't waste the broccoli stems. Thinly slice and blanch with the broccoli.
- Make sure you use a shallow dish that can go under the grill. I use an enamelled cast iron dish.
- Love cheese! Add extra cheese to the sauce.
- You could make this dish up in advance without putting under the grill. Reheat in the oven for about 30 minutes at 190℃ (170℃ fan)/375°F/gas mark 5, until piping hot and the topping crisp and golden.