Delicious, fun and messy to eat, these easy to make spicy beef tacos make a great family meal. Fill the tacos ready to go or let everyone dive in and assemble their own.
Spicy beef tacos are ideal for midweek meals as they’re so easy and fast to make! I simmer the beef mix for 30 minutes but you are in a real hurry then it could cut that down to just 15 minutes, though I think it's worth the extra time as it gives the flavours time to blend.
It can also be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator for 24 hours in which case I think the flavour is even better. It will also freeze for up to 3 months. Make sure you reheat until piping hot.
I'm a bit of a chilli wimp so my recipes will tend not to be overly spicy hot but you can easily up the spicy heat if you want to. Most of the heat in chilli peppers come from the seeds and membranes so include some of these, or choose a hotter variety of chilli, rather than the mild ones I tend to use.
I have also given the option to add some hot chilli powder with the other dried spices to tune up the chilli strength a bit if desired.
How to serve spicy beef tacos
Serving tacos is a doddle, while you can assemble them before serving cutting out any risk of argument of who has taken too much of the meat, I prefer to put the pan in the middle of the table and to let everyone assemble their own.
Each diner can then make their own perfect balance of spicy beef mince and toppings. It makes for a generally harmonious family meal and is also great for informal entertaining. The mince mixture can easily be doubled up to serve more.
For the tacos themselves, I use the traditional hard corn taco shells. You could use soft flour or corn tortillas instead but for us its the hard tacos that make it that bit more different from our other favourite casual Tex-Mex dinner Fajitas.
Topping for tacos
You can really go to town with the toppings or keep it simple. We always include the 1st three or four for a family meal and tend to add more when entertaining.
- grated cheese
- guacamole - I always make my own, it's quick and delicious. See link.
- tomato salsa
- soured cream or natural yogurt
- chilli sauce
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- chopped red onion or sliced spring onions
Step by step spicy beef tacos
Spicy Beef Tacos
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red chilli seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 4 ripe tomatoes chopped
- 300 g can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder Optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground corinader
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 taco shells
- spicy tomato salsa
- grated cheddar cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and fry one chopped onion and one chopped chilli gently for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in 2 cloves crushed garlic.
- Add 500g (1lb2oz) mince and cook until browned, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in 2 teaspoon paprika,1 teaspoon each chilli powder( if using), cumin, coriander and oregano.
- Add 4 chopped tomatoes, and 400g (14oz) can drained red kidney bean and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Heat the taco shells as directed on the packet.
- Spoon the meat filling into the shells and top with a little guacamole, salsa and cheese. Serve immediately.