Roasting the cauliflower intensifies the flavour in this easy to make roasted cauliflower soup. With the optional addition of Chorizo croutés, this soup is absolutely delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links meaning I will earn a little commission made through these links at no additional cost to you but helping me to bring you all these recipes for free! Please refer to my Disclosures Page for more details.
I have been making a lot of soups recently. Partly because they make easy mid-week meals. This is especially true when we are in between seasons when it's too cold for salads but too hot for full on winter comfort foods.
Actually, with our unpredictable British weather, you could say they are ideal all year round.
Soups also make economical meals and are great for using up ingredients in the fridge before they passed their best and I hate food waste in any form.
And there is another reason I've been making a lot of soups. Since being given a Froothie Evolve Blender to review I have been putting it through its paces.
It has to be said I love the Froothie Evolve and you can read why in my Froothie Evolve Blender review. And I can honestly say I haven't changed my opinion of it now that I have had it a while.
When it comes to soups, it quite simply makes the smoothest soup you can imagine. But if you don't have to have a Froothie blender to make this soup. with a few tweaks, any blender will do.
Roasting the cauliflower
Have you ever roasted cauliflower? If you have you will know how it intensifies the flavour.
So while you could make the soup without roasting the cauliflower first the end result would not have the same richness of flavour.
Roasted cauliflower also makes a fabulous side vegetable.
Cooking and blending the cauliflower soup
Here is where the Froothie Evolve really comes into its own. After roasting all the ingredients for the soup except the cream go into the blender which will then cook and blend the soup in one step. Easy!
If you don't have a Froothie, tip the roasted cauliflower and onions and garlic into a saucepan and add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Purée with a stick or jug blender.
Then however you have made the soup add the cream, season to taste and blitz again.
The all-important garnish
In Souper tips for tasty soup I talked about the importance of a garnish for soup and how it can transform a plain soup into something rather special.
This soup is no exception. Garnishes do not have to be complicated. You can just hold back a few bits of roasted cauliflower and place on top of the soup.
But have you tried the combination of cauliflower and spicy smoky chorizo it is seriously good!
So for this soup, I have added some chorizo croutés. In addition to some reserved cauliflower. They are very easy to make, simply heat them gently until the oil begins to run then increase the heat slightly and cook until the pieces are crispy. As the oil is full of flavour and a beautiful colour drizzle this over the soup too.
If you don't have Chorizo you could substitute some smoked streaky bacon instead.
BUY FROOTHIE EVOLVE HIGH SPEED BLENDER – READERS’ OFFER
If you buy this fantastic blender following my *Froothie UK affiliate link , you will get extra 2 years warranty (taking it up from very generous 5 to extremely generous 7 years)! and an indicator of just how solid and reliable this blender is. Simply add the following text to the comment box when ordering: Ambassador 6010 special 2 extra warranty years
- Other Froothie Recipes
- Watercress Pesto - Tin and Thyme
- Almond Milk – Nutritious Deliciousness
- Leek and Potato Soup - Lost in Food
- Rhubarb and Orange Fool - Farmers Girl Kitchen
Roasted Cauliflower Soup step by step
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- baking sheet
- Froothie Evolve Blender
- or saucepan and other blender
- 650 g cauliflower florets about 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 small onion cut into wedges
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin Olive oil
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the garnish
- 50 g chorizio
- Preheat the oven to 220℃ (200℃ fan)/425°F/gas mark 7. Place 650g (1lb 7oz) cauliflower florets on a baking sheet with one small onion cut into wedges and one whole clove of garlic. Sprinkle with the fennel seeds then drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender and the edges are a just beginng to caramelise.
- Set aside a few small florets to garnish the soup then tip all the remaining roasted vegetables into the Froothie Evolve hot blender jug. Add 750ml (1¼pt) vegetable stock. Select the smooth soup function on the menu and press start. The programme will run for 30 minutes but you can stop this anytime after 15 minutes.
- Add the 100ml (3½floz) double (heavy) cream and press the pulse button to blend.
To make the garnish
- While the soup is cooking – Cut the chorizio into small dice and place in a frying pan. Heat gently until the oil begins to run then increase the heat slightly and cook until the pieces are crispy.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the soup garnished with the reserved cauliflower then sprinkle over the chrorizo pieces and oil.