This has to be the easiest fish pie recipe I know. Pieces of cod and smoked haddock in a simple sauce topped with mashed potatoes. This recipe is really quick to prepare and very tasty.
Fish pie has to be one of the best comfort foods there is, but it can be a bit of a faff to make. First you have to cook the potatoes, then the fish, then a sauce, perhaps cook some eggs before you even begin to assemble the pie. It’s all rather time-consuming and much as I love it, it only appears on the table when I have plenty of time to cook.
But what if you could have a fish pie that takes just minutes to prepare? Well, you can and now fish pie is back on the menu in my house much more frequently. I would be lying if I said it tasted the same as a traditionally made one, but it takes a fraction of the time to make it, and it tastes pretty good. It perfect for a midweek meal.
Easy Fish Pie Supper
- Dinner for Two (but easily doubled)
- Fish Supper
To make this easy fish pie, all you do is cut the fish into bite-size pieces. You can throw in a few prawns too if you like but personally, I prefer it without. Then mix together some cream cheese, and crème fraîche with a little milk, some spring onions and some fresh herbs. I used dill but you could use parsley or chives instead. Then top with some mashed potato and into the oven to cook. This really is a fish pie recipe made easy.
To serve I usually like to add a green vegetable, peas or green beans are a favourite but you could also serve cabbage or broccoli. I rather like to pop some tomatoes into the oven alongside, sprinkled with a few herbs, salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil they make a perfect accompaniment, adding colour and flavour to the finished dish.
Can I use other Fish?
I like my fish pie simple, with just a mixture of white and smoked fish, cod or haddock are ideal. You could add some chunks of salmon if you prefer. You can even buy bags of mixed fish for fish pie handy to have in the freezer but make sure you defrost it first.
Easy Fish Pie Step by Step
Easy Fish Pie
- 450 g potatoes peeled
- 175 g smoked haddock
- 175 g cod
- 75 g cream cheese
- 75 g crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp milk
- 4 spring onions trimmed
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (180℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6. Cut the potatoes into small even-sized chunks and place in a saucepan with enough water to just cover. Bring to the boil, add a pinch of salt then reduce the heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes until just tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the fish into bite-size pieces and divide between 2 individual pie dishes or one larger dish.
- Beat the cream cheese, crème fraîche and milk together. Finely slice the spring onions and add to the cheese mixture along with the dill. Season and stir to combine. Pour over the fish.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain well and return to the pan. Add the butter and mash. Pile on top of the fish then bake the fish pies in the oven for 20 –25 minutes until the top is crisp and golden and the fish is cooked.
More Fish Recipes Made Easy
Im linking this to #CookBlogShare host at Easy Peasy Foodie