These savoury Pancakes with Salmon and Broccoli make a delicious starter or light meal. The filling is quick and easy to make and the pancakes can be made in advance so that you can finish making the meal on the day pretty quickly.I love pancakes in all their guises from puffy thick American Pancakes to ultra-thin French Crepes and of course our own English pancakes which are similar to crepes. I always make a batch on Shrove Tuesday (Pancake day) but I also like to make them throughout the year as they are so good.
As I write this post Pancake day is only a couple of weeks or so away so now is as good a time as any to share another savoury pancake recipe with you. Last year I made Spinach and Ricotta Pancakes. They have the advantage of being a dish you could make up in advance and then reheat on the day. I have made them several times since and they are really scrummy.
But of course I wanted to share a different recipe this year and I have opted for a simple fish filling of salmon and broccoli. This recipe serves two as a main or four as a starter.
The pancake batter makes enough for at least 8 pancakes. You could reduce it by half but I prefer to make a larger batch and serve pancakes for dessert too. You can never have too many pancakes - Right!
But if you don't want to do that, pancakes also keep well and you can store them in the fridge for 1-2 days, just make sure they are well covered so they do not dry out. You can also freeze pancakes for up to 4 months. Interleave the pancakes with some parchment to prevent them from sticking to each other. Freeze flat then wrap well. Defrost before reheating.
I reheat pancakes in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds on full power. Alternatively you can warm them covered with foil in a warm oven
Some people are a little shy of making pancakes but so long as you have a good nonstick pan they really are not that difficult to make. Follow my step by step guide How To Make Pancakes. If you are confident then you can toss the pancakes in the air to turn them over. Usually, on pancake day at home, we take it in turns to toss them and inevitably some end up on the floor 🙁 its kind of a tradition but when I am making them at any other time I simply flip them over using a palette knife.
How To Make Savour Pancakes with Salmon and Broccoli
Savoury pancakes with salmon and broccoli
- 4 pancakes see How to make pancakes
- 2 salmon fillets skinned
- 4 tablespoon dry white wine or water
- 100 g small broccoli florets
- 8 tablespoon creme fraiche
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dill
- Make the pancakes and keep warm (How to Make Pancakes step by step).
- Place the salmon fillets in a small pan and add the wine or water. Bring to a simmer, cover and poach the salmon over a low heat for 8-10 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli florets in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes until tender, drain well.
- When the salmon is cooked remove with a draining spoon and place in a mixing bowl, flake the fish into chunks with a fork. Add the broccoli to the bowl, once cooked.
Pancakes will freeze for up to 4 months.
Filling not suitable for freezing.Nutrition information is calculated using an online nutrition database - is approximate and is meant as a guideline only. (It does not include seasoning with salt and pepper.)
If you like the you may also like my Pancakes with Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
Im linking this post to #CookBlogShare hosted at Tin and Thyme.