This simple and quick to make Oven Baked Cod with Chunky Tomato Sauce is an ideal healthy midweek meal for two. Low in Calories and fat but full of flavour, it can be on the table in around 30 minutes.
To my mind you can never have too many quick recipes for midweek meals. After a long day you want something that is quick and easy to prepare and when the dish is low fat and low cal but full of flavour, then I think you have hit the jackpot.
This is just that kind of dish and it takes about 5 minutes to prepare. All you have to do is slice the tomatoes in half and pop them on a baking tray drizzled with some olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt, pepper and thyme. Then into the oven. Next you wrap the fish in parchment after sprinkling with a little more oil, seasoning and a squeeze of lemon. The fish then cooks alongside the tomatoes.
Once out of the oven just mash the tomatoes with the fish juices and spoon on top of the cod.
Hints Tips and Variations
- I use baby plum tomatoes as they tend to have lots of flavour, a simple dish like this relies on good ingredients. You can use regular cherry tomatoes so long as they have a some flavour.
- As I make this dish at any time of the year I have suggested using dried thyme which I always have in the cupboard. You could also use dried oregano. In the summer I tend to swap it for fresh basil or snipped chives.
- Use any white fish.
- You can easily double up just use a larger baking sheet or bake on two sheets.
- If you prefer you can cook the fish directly on the traywit the tomatoes (lightly oil first) but I find cooking the fish in a parcel helps keep the fishy smells contained and the fish moist.
Serving suggestions for Oven Baked Cod with Chunky Tomato Sauce
For a light meal I have served this with courgetti (thin strips of courgette) but you could serve with noodles, rice or potatoes. A little steamed tender stem broccoli adds some crunch. I also like it with sugar snap peas.
Oven Baked Cod with Chunky Roasted Tomato sauce
- 250 g baby Plum tomatoes halved
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cod loin fillets about 175g/6oz each
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Place the tomatoes at one end of a baking sheet and sprinkle with the garlic and 1/4 tsp thyme. Drizzle over 1 tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place the cod fillets on a large square of baking parchment Sprinkle over the remaining thyme and olive oil. Add a squeeze of lemon then fold up to enclose the fish.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and place the fish at the other end of the baking sheet. return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Check the fish is cooked, it will flake easily when done and pop back for another minute or two if required. When the fish is warm transfer to serving plates and keep warm.
- Tip the tomatoes into a small bowl and mash lightly with a fork. Add and juices from the fish and stir to combine. Spoon on chunky tomato sauce top of the cod and serve immediately with vegetables of your choice.
Step by Step Oven Baked Cod with Chunky Tomato Sauce
If you liked this recipe why not try this Herb Roasted Cod