A simple classic Greek salad of tomato, cucumber, onion, olives and feta cheese. Ideal as both a side dish or main meal salad, it just seems to taste of sunshine and holidays.
- Summer Salad
- Classic Recipe
- Easy Entertaining
- On the side
Making the Best Greek Salad
This recipe has all the basics that make up a classic Greek Salad. The tomatoes must be really ripe and flavourful. I used a mixture of large tomatoes cut into chunks and some cherry tomatoes halved. Add cucumber, a mild onion, olives and feta. I like to use red onions in this salad, sliced as thinly as possible, and prefer Kalamata olives in this salad. Not all feta cheese are the same and it is worth trying different brands to see which ones you like best. I like Sainsbury's taste the difference barrel aged feta.
I'm told that it is traditional to serve the feta whole on the top, but personally, think it looks quite clunky like that. Many recipes dice the feta before adding it to the salad. My preference is to simply crumble the feta into bite-size chunks into the salad after tossing all the ingredients together. Give it a final quick and light toss to distribute the feta through the salad. Do this gently or the pieces of feta will break up too much. But really, it is up to you how you serve it.
Herbs - Oregano is traditional and this is one case when dried is probabaly best. It certainly suits me as I always have a jar in my herb and spice drawer. If you want to use fresh herbs you could, of course, use fresh oregano but you might also like to try adding mint, parsley or dill. The dressing is just a simple vinaigrette style. I use a red wine vinegar but have been known to use lemon juice. I always finish my salad with an extra drizzle of an extra virgin olive oil - use one with a good flavour. Simple salads like this rely on using good ingredients.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 350 g tomatoes cut into chunks
- 50 g Greek Kalamata olives
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil preferably Greek plus extra to drizzle
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano plus extra to sprinkle
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150 g Feta cheese
- Cut cucumber in half length ways and scoop out the seeds, then cut in half length ways again. Thickly slice into chunks. Toss together with the onion, tomatoes and olives.
- Whisk together the oil, red wine vinegar, oregano salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss until coated.
- Finally add the feta cheese, traditionally in one piece or crumbled into bite size pieces. Drizzle with a little more oil and sprinkle with a little extra oregano.
Step by Step Greek Salad
More Salads Made Easy
Thank you for spending your time to read my recipe posts, feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy receiving your feedback, read each and every one and I will reply to as many as I can.