The earthy flavour of beetroot, the sweetness of butternut squash and the saltiness of feta make a delicious combination in this Beetroot, Squash and Feta Salad. I remember when salad often just meant lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Luckily those days are long gone. Today even a basic green salad will usually include a variety of different leaves. A plain lettuce is easily perked up with a handful of peppery watercress or rocket leaves and as we get more and more influenced by different cuisines so a salad can mean so much more. Some don't even have any leaves in at all (shock horror!) though that said I couldn't resist adding a handful of rocket leaves to this beetroot, squash and feta salad because I like them; but feel free to leave them out.
I find this salad so versatile. It is substantial enough to eat as a main meal but also makes a great side salad served with cold meats, grilled fish or grilled chicken which it seems to pair particularly well with. Most of all I love it for its colour! Although you could make it virtually all year round I think it is perfect in spring as we start to think of lighter fresher meals. It's vibrant colour reminds us that Summer is not far off.
- Serve as a starter, main or side dish
- Serve warm or cold
Step by step Beetroot, Squash and Feta Salad
Beetroot Squash and Feta Salad
- 50 g hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoon cold pressed rapeseed oil plus extra to drizzle
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 500 g butternut squash or pumpkin cut into chunks
- 500 g beetroots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 red onion cut into thin wedges
- 200 g rocket leaves (arugula)
- 150 g feta cheese
- balsamic vinegar to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (190℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6. Place the hazelnuts on baking sheet and toast for 4-5 minutes until golden. Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoon of the oil in a large bowl with some seasoning, a pinch of chilli flakes and half the garlic, mix together then add the prepared squash and toss so that the squash is well coated in the oil. Tip out onto one end of a large baking tray.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the bowl, some more seasoning, chilli flakes and the remaining garlic, then add the beetroot and toss until coated the oil. Tip out onto the other end of the baking sheet.
- Finally add the onnion slices to the bowl and swirl around to pick up any of the remaining oil left in the bowl then scatter on top of the squash and beetroot.
- Roast in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes if serving the salad warm or completely if serving cold. Roughly chop the toasted hazelnuts
- Place most of rocket leaves into a serving bowl. Toss in about half of the roasted vegetables and top with half the feta. Add the remaining vegetables, followed by the remaining feta, then sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts.
- Top with the remaining rocket leaves then drizzle with balsamic vinegar and some extra oil before serving.
Click on the Images for More Salad Recipes Made Easy
Have you made this recipe?
I love to hear from readers who have made my recipes. Did you enjoy it, did you change anything? Leave a comment and rate the recipe or drop me an email and let me know.
I'm Linking this recipe to #CookBlogShare hosted this week by Easy Peasy Foodie.