A simple and colourful side dish, this rice salad with roasted peppers and onions is a great accompaniment to roasted or grilled meat and fish.
This is one of my favourite rice salads, it’s simple and colourful. As the weather begins to warm here, I’m starting to think of serving more salads, but I’m not going to get away with just leafy green salads, so a rice salad is a great addition to our meals. It is quite a filling side salad so, I serve it at any time of the year. It’s not that long ago that I served with my simple Roast Cod with Parma Ham and Pesto. I think it goes particularly well with grilled meat and fish so it’s a regular with our barbecues in the summer months, but it also goes great with vegetarian dishes.
Because I want to serve the rice cold or at room temperature for this dish, I cook the rice in plenty of lightly salted boiling water then drain and rinse again under running cold water which quickly cools the rice down. Take care not to overcook the rice as you don’t want it to break it up and end up with a stodgy mess. Once the rice is cool, drain well then quickly toss everything together and set aside until required.
If you prefer, you can cook the rice by the absorption method – toss the hot rice with the salad dressing and vegetables, and allow to cool naturally.
I sprinkled the salad with some mixed seeds. I always keep a jar of mixed seeds in the refrigerator for sprinkling on salads as they are good for you and they add a delicious crunch. You can buy packets of mixed seeds or just make up your own mix, sometimes I include a few pine nuts too. Alternatively, you could sprinkle on some toasted flaked almonds to finish off the salad.
Rice salad with roasted peppers and onions
- 2 small red onions
- 2 small red peppers
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 225 g Basmati rice
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds such as pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Place the onion and pepper in a roasting tin and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Toss the vegetables together so that they are coated in the oil and spread out into an even layer. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes until just soft and just beginning to char. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice. Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Place in a saucepan with plenty of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, stir and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Once the rice is cooked remove from the heat and drain, then rinse in cold water and drain again.
- Place the rice, roasted peppers and onions in a serving bowl and toss to combine. Whisk together the remaining oil, vinegar, mustard and seasoning with a fork and pour over the rice. Toss again to coat the rice in the dressing.
- Sprinkle the mixed seeds over the rice and serve.
Nutrition information is approximate and is meant as a guideline only. (It does not include seasoning with salt and pepper.)
Step by step rice salad with rasted peppers and onions
More Side Salads Made Easy
I am linking this post to Cook Once Eat Twice