Have some fun in the kitchen making this Triple Chocolate Bark. There is something for everyone in these chocolate bars. It can be topped with crushed mini eggs which will appeal to young and old alike, or if you fancy trying something a little more sophisticated, the Salted Rosemary Triple Chocolate Bark may be more up your street. Both are perfect to serve with after dinner coffees, or as a treat.
Judging by the amount of chocolate sold in the UK every year it’s safe to say we all love a bit of chocolate from time to time. Instead of buying one of the 80 million Easter eggs sold in the UK every year, what could be more fun than making your own chocolate bar or Easter egg? I was lucky enough to be invited to make my own Easter Egg at Melts in Notting Hill along with a few other bloggers. All thanks to the kind people behind Thermapen who sponsored the event. It is probably a bit late this year to start making Easter Eggs but you can still have some chocolaty fun with this really easy to make Triple Chocolate Bark.
Tempering chocolate is the process that ensures the chocolate sets properly, giving it a smooth and glossy appearance and a firm texture. Chocolate that has been simply melted and cooled may be lumpy, streaky, or prone to melting. It requires heating and cooling the chocolate to set temperatures. It’s not difficult to temper chocolate as I explained in more detail in my earlier post How to Temper Chocolate.
While it is not essential to use a thermometer to temper chocolate, it really does take the guess work out of the process, especially for beginners, and will ensure success time after time. At the risk of repeating myself, if you enjoy cooking then I would recommend buying one. They are so useful in the kitchen not only in helping to ensure success when making sweets, confectionary, and jams but also when cooking meat and reheating foods. Digital thermometers are the easiest to use and most versatile.
Ever since I worked on De Agostini’s “Something Sweet” magazine I have used a Thermapen thermometer, which I highly recommend. They are super accurate and very reliable. I managed to get through several different thermometers in a short period of time before investing in a Thermapen. (As you can imagine, I made a lot of sweets and confectionary during the 2½ or so years I worked on that project). The Thermapen was the only one that really worked consistently well for any length of time. What’s more it is still the one in daily use in my kitchen now, two years later.
Now two lucky readers of Recipes Made Easy can win a Thermapen for themselves. I’m sure you will agree it’s a great Prize! Just scroll down to find out how.
Triple Chocolate Bark
- 200 g plain (dark) chocolate
- 200 g milk chocolate
- 200 g white chocolate
- mini eggs, chopped
- rosemary and sea salt crystals
- Line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Temper the plain, milk and white chocolate. Chop the mini eggs.
- Pour half of the melted white chocolate in a line down the middle of the baking sheet. Repeat on the second baking sheet with the remaining white chocolate.
- Now pour lines of plain chocolate down one side of the white chocolate and milk chocolate on the other side.
- Gently tap the baking tray on the work surface so that the chocolate spreads and slightly flattens.
- Using the blade of a dinner knife swirl the white chocolate into and out of the chocolate either side. You can also tease the sides of the chocolate out so that it forms a rough rectangle.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with chopped mini eggs or a little bit of finely chopped fresh rosemary and seasalt crystals to complete. Allow to set before breaking into chunks to serve,
Your Chance to Win a Thermapen
The SuperFast Thermapen digital thermometer is used by top chefs and chocolatiers. The Thermapen 4 includes a patented 360° self-rotating display that can be used in any position, in either hand. The unit incorporates an intelligent backlit display sensing light levels, automatically turning the backlight on/off in varying light conditions. The motion-sensing sleep mode automatically turns the unit on/off when set down or picked up, maximising battery life. The Thermapen case is waterproof and includes `Biomaster’ additive that reduces bacterial growth. The Thermapen is competitively priced from £48 each, and available in a variety of colours direct from Thermapen.
You have probably picked up that the above is an extract from the press release by the Thermapen people. By now you also know at I am not in the habit of recommending anything I do not like myself. Thermapen have offered me two Thermapen as prizes for my very first Give Away Competition on Recipes Made Easy. Given that it is a piece of equipment that I really love using I couldn’t be happier.
It’s Really Easy To Enter
Rafflecopter is a little piece of software that allows me to run a kind of raffle on Recipes Made Easy. For your chance to WIN a Thermapen , enter for free. First scroll down to the comments section after the post and leave a comment letting me know which is your favourite type of chocolate. Then pop back up and fill in the little Rafflecopter widget below ticking to say that you have left a comment (it’s clever it can check). Don’t worry if your comment doesn’t appear immediately, it is being waiting to be approved which is a way of avoiding the site getting a lot of spam comments. Your name and email address are obtained only for the purpose of contacting the winner and will not be stored or used for any other purpose after the competition ends.
It’s really easy to use and there are bonus chances to get extra entries by doing things such as following me on Twitter or visiting my Facebook page. You do not have to do any of these extra things but it will give you more chances to win!
When the competition closes, the little widget will randomly select a winner. I will then contact the winner via email to arrange for the prize to be sent to you from Thermapen. Good luck!
Please note that the competition is open to entries from the UK only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The Small Print
- This giveaway is free to enter. There are two prizes and two winners who each will receive one Thermapen.
- The competition is only open to those resident in the UK and can not be sent overseas.
- There is no cash alternative.
- Entry is via the Rafflecopter widget only.
- The winner will be selected at random by the Rafflecopter widget.
- Once the prizes have been posted, Recipes Made Easy and Thermapen cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to the parcel during transit.
- The giveaway will close at midnight on 27th April.
- The randomly selected winner will be contacted by email within 48 hours of the giveaway closing and will have 7 days to respond, otherwise an alternative winner will be drawn.
I have been given two Thermapens as prizes. I have received no other payment for this post. As always, all opinions expressed are my own and I will only ever recommend products I would, and do, genuinely use myself and that I think are a good fit with Recipe Made Easy.
If you never want to miss a recipe or future giveaway , then pop over to the side bar to subscribe to my weekly Recipes Made Easy Email.