A quick and easy midweek meal, which is economical too. This easy chicken, chickpea and red pepper casserole is tasty and nutritious to boot which has to be a win win.
Chicken Breasts or Chicken Thighs
It seems the price of chicken seems to keep going up and up, so it is a good idea to make use of the cheaper cuts. When it comes to family meals I can be feeding up to 4 hungry adults which means that while I am always looking to cut down the cost of a family meal without sacrificing flavour or quality. Often the best value is to buy a whole chicken and portion it yourself, and while I often do that at the weekends, for mid-week that’s a bit of a faff.
So for this chicken casserole, I have used boneless skinless chicken thighs which gives convenience without the high price tag that chicken breast often has. The great thing is that for this casserole I find the thighs actually have the best flavour so I am saving money without compromising on taste. To make the dish even more economical I have added chickpeas which are a good source of protein and fibre. Without the chickpeas, I would have probably used 8 chicken thighs for 4 people but in this case, I have used just 6.
I find this casserole a pretty filling meal in itself and would happily eat it on its own as it is. Mr B and my lads do like their carbs so they like to add rice or mashed potatoes as an accompaniment. You could also serve a green vegetable alongside if you like.
Will Chicken, Chickpea and Red Pepper Casserole Freeze?
Yes its a great dish for the freezer, so if there are only a couple of us I freeze half for later. I sometimes even double up in one of my big pans to save cooking from scratch another time. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Make sure you reheat until piping hot.
Chicken, Chickpea and Red Pepper Casserole
- 6 chicken thighs skinned and boned
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 300 g carrots thinly sliced
- 2 red pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 400 g can chick peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ (160℃ fan)/350°F/gas mark 4. Cut the chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and prepare the remaining ingredients as described in the ingredients list
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the onion over a low heat for about 5 minutes until softened and just beginning to colour. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two then using a draining spoon transfer to an ovenproof casserole.
- Brown the chicken on all sides in one or two batches adding a little more oil if required. Transfer to the casserole.
- Sprinkle the paprika into the pan and stir then stir in the tomatoes, stock and chick peas. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Pile the peppers on top of the chicken, then pour over the hot tomato and chickpea mixture. Cover with a lid. Cook in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes.
Nutrition information is calculated using an online nutrition database - is approximate and is meant as a guideline only. (It does not include seasoning with salt and pepper.)
Step By Step Chicken, Chickpea and Red Pepper Casserole
More Chicken Recipes Made Easy