Chargrilled Broccoli, Rocket and Beef Salad
Not wanting to waste the remaining classic Caesar salad Dressing that I made earlier this week for my Chicken and Asparagus Caesar Salad. I knocked up this simple salad. Like the chicken and asparagus salad this is really tasty and would make a dinner party starter for 4 people as well as a main meal salad for 2 people on a warm summers day.
Chargrilling gives the broccoli a sweet flavour while retaining the "bite". Alternatively you could blanch in boiling water for a few minutes but do take care to drain well and do not over cook. I like to serve this with the steak and broccoli still warm, so after cooking the steak the broccoli is grilled on the same pan while the steaks rest. Then with the dressing ready made it is just a case of quickly putting it all together.
Use a potato peeler to get the shavings of parmesan, and if you prefer not to add the anchovies these can be left out, but I find the saltiness of the anchovies works really well in this salad.
Chargrilled broccoli, rocket and beef salad
- 2 fillet or sirloin steaks
- a little oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g tenderstem broccoli (broccolini)
- 200 g rocket (arugula )
- 4-6 anchovies rinsed and torn
- Caesar salad dressing to serve
- Parmesan shavings
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot, brush steaks with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook the steaks for 2 minutes each side. Remove from the pan and allow to rest while cooking the broccoli
- Brush the pan with a little more oil and grill the broccoli for 3 to 4 minutes until just tender, turning frequently.
- Arrange the broccoli on serving plates, then thinly slice the beef and lay slices onto the plates. Mix together the rocket and anchovies a little salad dressing. Pile some rocket on top of each plate. Scatter with parmesan shavings and serve with the remaining dressing on the side.