Layers of pasta with vegetables, cottage cheese and parmesan, top with passata and mozzarella and you have this easy to make a delicious, fresh-tasting, meat-free Three Cheese Vegetable Lasagne.
Three Cheese Vegetable Lasagne
- Family Favourite
- Really Easy
- Cheap and Cheerful
Do you remember Teletext? It was a kind of precursor to the internet (yes there was life before the internet!) Text based information on your TV screen.
Apart from booking a holiday once, I can’t say I used it much but for several years I wrote a recipe a day for it. This lasagne is based on one of those recipes.
I have upped the cheese a bit to keep my ever hungry boys happy and added some red peppers to the vegetable mix (I was a bit mean back then) but the basic recipe is the same.
I have already shared quite a few recipes I originally wrote for Teletext on Recipes Made Easy, but this is one of those dishes that I used to make a lot but, for some reason, haven’t made recently.
It’s now firmly back on the menu. It’s really easy. With no sauces to make, you just need to sauté a few vegetables together. Mix the cottage cheese and parmesan together, then layer up all the elements. Easy Peasy! And as I use cottage cheese it not too high in fat either.
Like many people, I’m trying to reduce the amount of meat-based meals we eat. I love meat but given a choice would prefer to buy less of a better quality, higher welfare meat than lots of cheap, poor quality meat. Choice made.
The trouble is, that with two grown boys still living at home (for now) it’s not so easy. They are not against vegetarian food per se (the younger claimed he lived on it a lot of the time for financial reasons, while he was at Uni). But if they are going to be happy, then the dish needs to be satisfying enough for them not to miss the meat. This Three Cheese Vegetable Lasagne is ideal.
Step by Step Three Cheese Vegetable Lasagne
Three Cheese Vegetable Lasagne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced
- 2 courgettes sliced
- 200 g button mushrooms sliced
- 6 tomatoes sliced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 600 g cottage cheese
- 100 g parmesan or vegetarian substitute
- 500 g passata
- 250 g sheets dried lasagne (about 12 sheets)
- 150 g mozzarella sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for 3 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Stir in the garlic, peppers, courgettes and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until just softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, reserving about 6 slices for the top of the lasagne. Add the mixed herbs and remove from the heat.
- Combine the cottage cheese and parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour some of the passata into the base of a shallow oven proof dish, and spread out to coast the bottom of the dish.
- Place a layer of the lasagne on top of the passata, then cover with a third of the vegetables. Next spoon about a third of the cottage cheese mixture in dollops on top.
- Repeat the layers of pasta, vegetable and cheese and finishing with a fourth layer of pasts. Spread the remaining passata over the top to completely cover the lasagne.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and top with slices of mozzarella and the reserved tomato slices. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes . Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.