Pistachio and Lemon Cake is really quick and easy to make. The pistachio flavoured cake is filled with lemon curd, topped with a lemon mascarpone cream and decorated with pretty crystalised flowers.
Easter Baking - Pistachio and Lemon Cake
I always like to make a cake to share with friends and family at Easter time. The long weekend is a the perfect time to indulge in a bit of baking for pleasure. Last year I shared with you my delicious, decadent Chocolate Truffle Cake so this year I thought I would opt for something a little lighter and more delicate in flavour. I think this Pistachio and Lemon Cake fits the bill perfectly. If you like pistachios, you will love this cake. They add great flavour and give a lovely moist texture. The cake itself is a doddle to make. First the nuts are whizzed together with the flour in a food processor until very finely chopped. Next, add the remaining ingredients, whizz again until well combined, and that's it.
To complete the cake the two layers are sandwiched together with lemon curd and covered with a creamy lemon mascarpone cream which, like the cake is very simple to make. I spread it over the top and sides of the cake but, if you prefer, you could just spread a thick layer on top, which would look equally good. A little while ago I showed you how to make crystallised flowers which are ideal to decorate the cake. These delicate flowers look stunning offset against the yellow tinted mascarpone cream and give the cake a fresh spring look perfect for Easter. Having said that, I wouldn't say no to this cake at any time of the year. If you do not have the time or inclination to make the crystalised flowers a few slither or chopped pistachios could be used to decorate the cake instead.
Pistachio and Lemon Cake
for the cake
- 200 g pistachio nuts
- 125 g plain flour
- 250 g butter softened
- 250 g caster sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon milk
- 8 tablespoon lemon curd
- 50 g butter softened
- 100 g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- ½ lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- crystalised flowers, to decorate
To make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ (160℃ fan)/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease and line the base of two 20cm/8in sandwich cake tins.
- Place the pistachios in a food processor with the flour and blitz together until the nuts are very finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the cake and blitz again until the all ingredients are well blended. Divide equally between the cake tins and level the top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, sandwich together with the lemon curd and place on a serving plate.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar and lemon zest and juice until very light and fluffy. Then beat in the mascarpone cheese. Spread over the cake and decorate with the crystalised flowers.
More Easter Bakes Made Easy