Roasting strawberries intensifies the flavour and brings out the sweetness of this delicious soft fruit. These Pancakes with Roasted Strawberries are a great way to serve them. A delicious dessert to serve on Shrove Tuesday (Pancake day) or any other day for that matter.
When it comes to pancake day I am a bit of a sucker for tradition and tend to serve the traditional thin pancakes similar to French crêpes , delicious with sugar and squeezed lemon juice over the top. I love American pancakes too but they tend to be reserved for a late breakfast at weekends. However, over the last few years, I have begun to ring the changes and experiment with pancake recipes and last year I made some Pancakes with Creamy Garlic Chicken on pancake day, followed by Coconut and Banana Pancakes for dessert.
I first really discovered the joy of roasted strawberries just before Christmas last year. I had tasted them before but never made them myself. I had picked up a few really cheap punnets of strawberries from the local market that seemed too good to ignore. Imported Strawberries can be a bit lacking in flavour especially in winter, so I decided I would try roasting them and it was an instant success.
Sprinkled with a few drops of vanilla extract and a little sugar and popping them into a hot oven for 25 minutes really brought out the flavour in them. Cooking them produces a sweet syrup and they kept for almost a week in the refrigerator while I served them with yoghurt for a quick dessert one evening and made a bit of an Eaton mess with some whipped cream and crushed meringues for Sunday lunch.
So when it came to thinking of what I might like to serve with pancakes this year, roasted strawberries seemed the perfect answer. They worked a treat. I was going to finish the dish with a sprinkling of chopped pistachios but truth be told I forgot them. I saw them sitting on the side after I had taken the pictures. You don't really need them anyway but you could add them if you wanted. I did add a dollop of cream. Yogurt or crème fraîche would work just as well. Or even a scoop of ice cream.
Pancakes with Roasted Strawberries
- 400 g strawberries, halved or quartered if large
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- oil for frying
- cream, yoghurt, Crème fraîche or ice cream, to serve (optional)
- First, roast the strawberries. Preheat the oven to 190℃ (170℃ fan)/375°F/gas mark 5. Place the strawberries in a shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle with sugar and vanilla extract.
- Gently toast together and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Until tender and juices are beginning to run.
- Meanwhile,make the pancakes. See How to Make Pancakes for detailed instructions.
- Serve the pancakes with the roasted strawberries spooned on top.