I have served this pan fried sea bass with the a simple cream sauce which, despite its simplicity, is really tasty. Sunday is Valentines day, Mr B and I are not really into Valentine’s in a big way, the little everyday things are more important than grand gestures, nevertheless I would say that any excuse to cook and share a meal with the people you love sounds good to me. Sharing is one of the greatest pleasures of food so, if you have someone special in your life and want to make a delicious meal without spending too much time in the kitchen, then this dish is perfect.
Although any fish fillets will work well for this recipe, I have used Sea bass fillets. The fillets I used were quite thin, so you may need to increase the cooking time if you use thicker fillets. The cream sauce is flavoured with white wine and, since you have already opened the bottle, you might as well enjoy sharing that too. Take care when you add the wine to the pan as it will bubble and spit as the liquid hits the pan. Stir well to lift any bits from the base of the pan.
To complete the meal I served the fish with oven roasted chips (the recipe is easy enough to halve to serve two people) without the sweet potato, sugar snap peas, and roasted tomatoes.
Do you and your partner have a favourite dish you like to share?
Step by step pan fried sea bass with cream sauce
- 2 sea bass fillets
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh or ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- small knob of butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 125 ml double cream
- Place the fish on a plate. Mix the flour, salt, pepper and thyme together and sprinkle over the fish. Turn the fish over a few times to coat it in the flour.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the fish flesh side down for 2–3 minutes until golden. Turn over and fry for further 3–4 minutes until cooked through. Transfer to plate and keep warm.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir well. Boil rapidly for a few minutes until reduced to about 4 tbsp.
- Add the double cream and bring to the boil while stirring constantly. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Spoon the cream sauce over the fish and serve.
Freeze: not suitable for freezing