A Fried Chicken Sandwich made with tender chicken in a spicy coating can be hard to resist. Freshly made at home this simple but tasty recipe is a joy to eat, served with a little spicy sauce in a soft bread roll.
A lot of recipes for fried chicken use buttermilk to marinate the chicken. The buttermilk tenderises the chicken and then sticks the seasoned coating to the chicken ready for frying. I find buttermilk can be a little hard to get hold of, so I often substitute with plain natural yoghurt. It's generally very successful and this fried chicken recipe is no exception. The yoghurt tenderises the chicken in the same way, so if possible allow for the marinating time to ensure your chicken is super succulent. Of course, if you can get buttermilk you can use that.
I've used chicken thigh fillets as I think they have more flavour than chicken breasts. They are ideal, all you need to do is open them out flat then coat with the yoghurt. If you prefer to use chicken breasts, flatten the chicken slightly by hitting it with the flat side of a meat hammer or a rolling pin.
Like many people now I don't often deep fry food. So, rather than use a deep fat fryer, I shallow fried these in a heavy based pan with about 6mm (¼in) oil.
So that they are not too heavy on the calories, I have served them with a delicious Harissa yoghurt sauce (which is a rather grand name for yoghurt with a little harissa stirred in). Very simple and really tasty. And although you could use the more traditional mayonnaise, given that you have the yoghurt anyway why not use that?
Tuck the chicken into a soft bread roll with a few salad leaves and you have a great snack or light meal. Some sliced avocado goes well too or, if you feel so inclined, you could make some guacamole to go with it - So good!!! For a more substantial meal some Oven Roasted chips are the perfect side.
Fried Chicken Sandwich
For the chicken
- 150 ml full-fat natural yoghurt or Greek style natural yoghurt
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- pinch ground nutmeg
- pinch sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4-8 tbsp rapeseed oil for shallow frying
Harissa Yogurt Sauce
- 100 ml full-fat natural yoghurt or Greek style natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp harissa
- 4 soft bread rolls or burger buns
- salad leaves
- Place the yoghurt in a shallow dish and season with a little salt and pepper. Open out the chicken thigh fillets and check for any tiny pieces of bone. Dip in the yoghurt and turn until well coated. Allow to marinate in the yoghurt for about 2 hours or overnight if possible.
- Mix the yoghurt and harissa for the sauce together, chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to cook. Place the flour in a shallow dish and add the herbs and spices. Mix well.
- Remove the chicken from the yoghurt then dip into the seasoned flour until well coated.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan and shallow fry the chicken for about 10 minutes each side until the chicken is cooked through. The juices will run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife. If you have a thermometer the centre of the chicken should be at least to 75℃ (167°F).
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve in a bread roll with a few salad leaves and a dollop of the harissa yoghurt sauce.
- Family Favourite