Layers of lentils in an easy tomato sauce and potatoes, topped with cheddar cheese, this easy lentil and potato hotpot makes a delicious vegetarian family meal.
If you liked my Vegetable and Lentil Bake then you are going to love this Lentil and Potato Hotpot. Hotpots are one of my favourite comfort foods. There is something so humble and homely about them, the top layer of potatoes being particularly prized and in our house fought over. More often than not in the past when I have made a hotpot it usually contains meat, often lamb but I am always on the look out for satisfying meals without meat, as not only is it good for our health to include meat-free meals its also kinder on the purse.
The boys have good appetites, like their meat, and match any vegetarian dish against their favourite recipes. Harsh critics indeed. We do have plenty of meat-free meals and so long as they are equally satisfying and delicious I don’t get any complaints. This dish easily passed that test making it a great economical, healthy and filling midweek meal.
- Cheap and Cheerful
- Family Favourite
- Low Cal
Lentils are so convenient as they do not need soaking. Puy lentils are reputed to have the best flavour but I find this robust flavoured hotpot is fine made with green lentils (lentils vertes). The lentils are cooked first in a tomato sauce and then layered with the potatoes before going into the oven for about an hour. So it will take about 1 1/2 hours to cook but hands on time is only about 15 minutes.
The lentil mixture can be made 24 hours ahead to save time on the day. The potatoes should be thinly cut though they don’t need to be wafer thin. I aim for about the thickness of a pound coin, about 4mm. A little thicker wont hurt but they may take a little longer in the oven to cook.
Not only is this dish satisfying and filling it is also low in calories coming in at under 400 cals a portion. Its a meal in itself though I like to serve a green vegetable alongside, broccoli or cabbage goes really well. However it could also be served as a side dish in a main meal in which case it will serve 6-8.
Step by Step Easy Lentil and Potato Hotpot
Easy Lentil and Potato Hotpot
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 150 g green lentils rinsed
- 700 g potatoes sliced
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 75-100 g vegetarian cheddar cheese grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, 300ml (½pt) water and herbs and bring to the boil. Add the lentils. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until lentils are soft but still hold their shape. Season to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ (160℃ fan)/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Place a layer of potatoes in the bottom of a deep ovenproof dish. Spoon about one quarter of the lentil mixture on top.
- Repeat the layers until all the lentil mixture has been used and finish with a layer of potato. Carefully pour the stock over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cover with foil if the top begins to brown too much.
More Vegetarian Recipes Made Easy