These easy lamb kebabs are made with tender cubes of lamb marinated in a simple lemon, garlic and herb marinade then threaded onto skewers with peppers and onion. Cook them on the barbecue or, if the weather isn’t playing ball, under a hot grill. Either way they will taste fantastic.
Easy Lamb Kebabs
I am sure I’m not the only one who likes to serve kebabs over the summer, even if the weather is not good enough to light the barbie and here in the UK that is often the case. The great thing about kebabs is that they take only minutes to prepare and not long to cook. If I’m cooking indoors I do them under a very hot grill or in a griddle pan. So there is no need to have the oven on for hours, and dinner is cooked in minutes making an ideal summer time dish.
If you have time though I would recommend that you leave your kebabs to marinate for at least 1 hour. It makes all the difference. When I’m feeling ultra organised, I will marinate mine overnight and that ratchets up the flavour another notch or two. It also means they take even less time to prepare on the day.
For these easy lamb kebabs, I have opted for a marinade that I can knock up with ingredients I nearly always have at hand. A little oil, some lemon zest and juice, garlic, and some herbs. I’ve used thyme in this recipe but rosemary or oregano work just as well. I use fresh when I have them, but it also works well with dried.
I often serve with new potatoes and a simple mixed salad. This time, to give them more of a mediterranean feel, I served them with a simple tabbouleh style salad, flat breads and a yogurt and cucumber mint sauce.
For the easiest flat breads I know, check out this recipe for two ingredient yogurt flat breads from my friend Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie or my own recipe for Really Easy Flatbreads which I adapted from that recipe .
The sauce in the picture is really versatile and not dissimilar to tzatziki which you could use instead. I make it at home on a regular basis to serve with simple grilled meat and fish so I promise I will share the recipe on Recipes Made Easy soon as it is such a useful sauce.
Easy Lamb Kebabs
- ½ lemon finely grated zest and juice
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ½tsp dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750 g lean lamb
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- Combine the lemon juice, zest, oil, thyme, garlic and seasoning together in a shallow non metallic dish.
- Cut the lamb into chunks and add to the marinade. Toss until well coated in the marinade. Cover and chill for at least one hour or up to 24 hours
- Remove the meat and allow to come up to room temperature while preparing the pepper and onion.
- Cut the pepper in half and discard the stem, core and seeds. Cut into chunks
- Peel and cut the onion into thick wedges.
- Thread the meat onto 4 skewers alternating with pieces of the pepper and onion.
- Cook on the barbecue or under a hot grill for about 10 minutes, turning frequently. Serve.
More Lamb recipes Made Easy
I’m linking this recipe up to #CookBlogShare.