Lean pork loin steaks topped with a delicious herb and cheese crumb topping, these Crispy Crumbed Pork Steaks make a quick and easy midweek meal which is kind on the purse too.
I’m going to be the first to admit this is not the most photogenic of dishes but what it lacks in looks it more than makes up for in flavour and ease of making. Pork is such an economical meat and I think underrated. Pork is really great for midweek family meals, as it is also relatively low in fat and tasty too. My Pork lemon & Thyme Meatballs with Roasted Veg & Freekeh; Oven Baked Pork Schnitzels and Pasta with Creamy Pork and Sage are all quick and easy pork dishes to prepare.
These crispy crumbed pork steaks are also quick and easy and can be on the table in around 30-40 minutes. I like to brown the pork steaks quickly in a frying pan first, although you could skip this step if you wanted. Next, I top them with a mixture of onion, breadcrumbs, cheese and sage. Dried sage is fine here, so you don’t need to worry about buying fresh, using a little then having the rest of the bunch going to waste.
The pork is then baked in the oven. The topping resembles a sage and onion stuffing that you might have with roast pork but with added scrumminess from the cheese. I like to use Emmental or Gruyere because I think the flavour works really well, but I have used Cheddar when that’s all I’ve had to hand.
You can use wholemeal or white crumbs the choice is up to you. To make your own breadcrumbs simply blitz some bread in a food processor until crumbs are produced. This is easiest if the bread is slightly stale as fresh bread does not crumb so easily. Whenever I have a bit of leftover bread, I make breadcrumbs and keep them in the freezer, ready for when they are required. They can be used straight from frozen.
To complete the meal all you need are your favourite vegetables, I served mine with some small potatoes, cabbage and carrots but it would also be great served with some homemade oven baked chips and a salad. This recipe serves 2 but it is easy to double up for a family meal.
Step by step Crispy Crumbed Pork Steaks
Crispy Crumbed Pork Steaks
- 2 pork loin chops
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 25 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 25 g Emmental or gruyere cheese grated
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (180℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in small frying pan and fry the pork over a high heat for 2 minutes each side until browned. Place in a single layer in a shallow ovenproof dish or baking sheet.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry gently for 1 to 2 minutes until softened.
- Mix together the onion, breadcrumbs, cheese and herbs until well combined.
- Pile half the mixture on top of each of the pork steaks and press down gently.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the pork is cooked and crumbs are crisp and golden.
Nutrition information is calculated using an online nutrition database - is approximate and is meant as a guideline only. (It does not include seasoning with salt and pepper.)
More Quick Dinner Recipes Made Easy