A delicious and easy pasta dish that can be made in minutes, creamy pasta with asparagus and bacon was inspired from the classic Italian dish Spaghetti carbonara.
- Quick and Easy
- Perfect Pasta
- Family Favourite
I love asparagus and I may be biased but I think English Asparagus has the finest flavour. The season is short but sweet and I look forward to eating it as often as I can during that time. Last year I shared several easy dishes made with asparagus chicken and asparagus tray bake , Chicken and asparagus Ceasar salad and Foil roasted salmon and asparagus. If you love asparagus then check them out because these are some of my favourite recipes I have made and I am sure you will like them too.
This year I have been a little lazy and not tried so many new recipes, and often just eaten the asparagus as a vegetable or on its own with some butter and plenty of coarsely ground black pepper. Sometimes for a light lunch, I top it with poached egg. However last week I made a simple pasta dish based on an easy carbonara recipe I often make but using asparagus instead of mushrooms and the result was so good I had to remake it so I could share it with you. The sauce is made while the pasta is cooked so it really can be on the table in about 15 minutes.
Creamy pasta with asparagus and bacon
- 400 g pasta
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 150 g bacon
- 350 g asparagus
- 120 ml low fat crème fraîche
- 1 free range egg
- 50 g Parmesan cheese finely grated, plus extra to sprinkle
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- Trim the asparagus by cutting off the tough bottom part of the stem or bending and snapping off the end. Cut the bacon crossways into thin strips.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes or as directed on the packet until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon until beginning to brown. Add the asparagus stems and continue to cook for 3- 4 minutes until almost tender, then add the tips and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix the crème fraîche, egg, cheese in a small bowl and season with pepper and a pinch of grated nutmeg.
- As soon as the pasta is cooked drain and return to the pan. Add the egg mixture stirring constantly then tip in the asparagus and bacon. Stir to combine.
- Spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with extra parmesan to serve.
Step by step creamy pasta with asparagus and bacon
- When adding seasoning you may not need additional salt as the bacon will add saltiness to the dish. Taste after the bacon has cooked before adding more salt.
- Use any pasta shape of your choice.
- Cooking times for pasta varies so check the cooking time on the packet. Most will take about 10 minutes if yours is much quicker, start the sauce first.
- No asparagus, then use mushrooms instead.
- I used a low fat crème fraîche but you could use full fat, double cream or cream cheese instead.
More Pasta Recipes Made Easy