My version of these nibbles are deliberately not too sweet to make them ideal with drinks, if you like, sprinkle them with a little flaked sea salt to give them a salty-sweet flavour that is right on trend at the moment.
They are delicious served crumbled over ice cream or other creamy desserts, used to decorate cakes or just as a nibble.
Packed in cellophane bags they make lovely little gifts too. On special occasions such as Christmas, I sometimes serve them as table gifts placing one at each place setting.
- 200 g pecans
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 75 g light muscovado sugar (soft light brown sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ (170℃ fan)/350°F/gas mark 4. Place the pecans in a bowl and sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with the sugar and toss together until the pecans are well coated in the sugar.
- Turn the pecans out onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and spread out into an even single layer. Bake for 15 minutes stirring the nuts every 5 minutes until golden and the sugar begins to caramelise on the nuts.
- Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.