After lighting the barbecue to cook my BBQ Spatchcok Garlic and Herb Chicken, it made sense to cook dessert on the barbecue too. The sauce for these BBQ Apple Skewers with Salted Caramel Sauce can be made in advance and just warmed through on the barbecue. The skewers themselves only take moments to make.
You only have to think of toffee apples to know how well apples and caramel go together. BBQ Apple skewers with salted caramel sauce are equally delicious and make a great end to a barbecue meal.
The Apple Skewers
The skewers are really easy to make. After coring and segmenting the apple pieces, they are tossed in a little lime juice, sugar and cinnamon before threading them onto the skewers. This can be done an hour or so before required or at the last moment as it really doesn’t take long. The length of time they take to cook will depend on how much heat is left in the coals but allow between 5 and 15 minutes. Cook until just tender.
The Salted Caramel Sauce
Can be made several hours or even a day or so in advance. Just reheat gently when required. Serve the skewers on their own with the caramel sauce poured on top, or for a treat serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop or two of ice cream. Any left over sauce is delicious served poured over ice cream.
Step by step BBQ Apple Skewers with Salted Caramel Sauce
BBQ Apple Skewers with Salted Caramel Sauce
- 4 apples cored and cut into 8 wedges
- ½ lime, juice only
- 25 g light muscovado sugar (1oz/2tbsp)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 25 g melted butter (1oz/1tbsp)
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 125 g butter (4oz/1 stick)
- 100 g light muscovado sugar (3½oz /½ cup)
- 6 tbsp double (heavy) cream
- pinch sea salt
- Make the sauce. Melt the butter with the sugar in a small saucepan. Add the cream and bring to boil and boil 1–2 minutes, then set aside to cool slightly. Stir in a pinch of salt.
- Toss apples in lemon or lime juice. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the fruit. Toss again to coat. Thread the apple wedges onto 4 skewers.
- When ready to serve, grill the apple skewers on the barbecue or under a hot grill for about 5-15 minutes turning and basting with a little melted butter until just tender
- If required, gently reheat the sauce. Serve the apple skewers with the sauce drizzled over.