In the days following the excesses of Christmas day, you are probably looking for something a little lighter to eat but that doesn't mean that you want to miss out on flavour though. As you are also sure to have some leftover turkey, so I have developed a simple turkey soup recipe that is quick to make and to make sure it doesn't disappoint the taste buds, I have served it with crispy sage croûtes.
As with most soups of this kind it is very easy to make. Simply sauté some vegetables, add a little flour to thicken it slightly, add the turkey and stock and cook for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are very tender and the flavours have blended. Job done!
I have used courgettes and peppers but you could use a variety of other vegetables like carrots, celery, beans, peas or parsnips. Simply raid your fridge and use what you have to hand.
If you don't have any left over turkey, use a turkey drumstick instead. Poach it in water with a bay leaf, chopped carrot and onion for about 1 hour. Strain and use the liquid for the stock. Remove the meat from the bone and proceed with the recipe. Alternatively cut turkey breast steaks into bite size pieces and fry until cooked through before starting the recipe.
For a special occasion (it is still Christmas after all) serve with crispy sage croûtes. The croûtes are made by frying some fresh sage leaves in a little oil until crispy. This will give the oil a lovely subtle sage flavour which is then used to fry the bread. Serve the croûtes on the side or float on top of the soup. Don't forget to sprinkle with the crispy sage leaves they are delish!
A simple turkey soup
- for the soup
- 350 g cooked turkey meat
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large courgette cut into 4 lengthways and sliced
- 1 red pepper seeded, quartered and sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 litre turkey or chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- for the sage croûtes
- 8 slices of French bread
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 8 – 12 fresh sage leaves
- Cut the turkey into small bite size pieces. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Stir in the garlic, courgette and pepper and fry for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle over the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the stock and bring gently to the boil. Add the turkey. Simmer for 30 minutes, then season to taste.
- To make the croûtes, Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the sage leaves, cook until crisp then remove with a draining spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the breads to the oil and fry until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve the soup in warm bowls with the croûtes on the side or in the soup and top with the sage leaves.