Looking for a really easy midweek meal and love pie? Then I'm sure you will love this recipe. With just a little storecupboard help, this really easy beef and tomato pie must be just about the easiest meat pie you could make. Perfect for those midweek days when you want something quick and tasty without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Regulars to Recipes Made Easy will know that I like to make most of my meals from scratch. But even the most dedicated cook occasionally doesn't feel like spending too much time in the kitchen - we are human after all! Just for such occasions I tend to keep a jar of pasta sauce or pesto in my store cupboard. Most of the times it fits the bill, but there are occasions when I don't want pasta and fancy something different for a change. So, when I was asked to join the #Dolmio #ThankGoodness Challenge to come up with a tasty mid-week meal using Dolmio sauce for Bolognese, I decided to accept the challenge and come up with something just as simple and tasty as pasta, but different.
Really Easy Beef and Tomato Pie
A couple of weeks ago I made Chicken and Mushroom Pie for British Pie week. My family loves pie and I really should make them more often. Making a pie from scratch is not difficult, but can be a bit time consuming. Which is why I decided my mid-week meal for this challenge would be a pie. I decided to use filo pastry since we particularly like the flaky layers, and it is really quick and easy to use as a topping for a pie. For the filling I browned some meat and onions in a pan, added some diced fresh peppers, courgette, and the Dolmio sauce and let it simmer for just 5 minutes.
There is no need to wait for the filling to cool a before topping with the filo. Just tip it into a shallow ovenproof dish, brush the filo with a little oil and scrunch it up on top of the filling. The pie is ready in the time it takes to heat up the oven, and goes straight into the oven to bake. The end result looks fabulous and, I can assure you, tastes just as delicious. I served the pie with some creamy mashed potato to mop up the sauce and some extra fresh vegetables.
So, there you have it, a simple and tasty homemade pie on the table in about 45 minutes. Pretty soon we were all tucking in and minutes later it was all gone - that's gratitude for you!
Really Easy Beef and Tomato Pie Step by Step
Beef and Tomato Pie
- 3½ tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 courgette, diced
- 500 g jar Dolmio sauce for Bolognese
- 6 sheets packet filo pastry (about 270g/10oz)
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (180℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6. Heat ½ tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped onion. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the beef mince and cook over a high heat until browned, breaking the mince up as it cooks
- Add the pepper and courgette.
- Then stir in the Dolmio sauce and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Tip into a shallow ovenproof pan.
- Brush a sheet of filo pastry with oil, scrunch up and place on top of the pie filling. Repeat until the filling is covered.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
What is in a Jar of Dolmio Sauce?
Look at the ingredients list and you will see that it contains ingredients you might find in your own cupboard. It contains no artificial colours, flavours, preservatives or sweeteners.
This post is my entry for the #Dolmio #ThankGoodness Challenge, sponsored by Dolmio.
As always, all opinions expressed are my own and I will only ever use products I would, and do, genuinely use myself and that I think are a good fit with Recipe Made Easy.