This variation of a classic dish uses sausages for an economical and easy to make alternative. Serve this easy sausage stroganoff with pasta, mash or rice for a tasty filling family meal.
- Family favourite
- Cheap and cheerful
A few weeks ago I wrote a recipe for Easy Beef Stroganoff for the blog. It is really quick to make so ideal after work and it is good enough to serve to friends at a dinner party. However, it needs to be made with a tender cut of beef. That can sometimes be a bit pricey especially when you have a hungry family to feed. I then remembered an old recipe of mine for Sausage Stroganoff so here it is.
I have kept it simple, the sausages are first browned in the pan, then removed while the onions, then the mushrooms are softened. Then a little flour is added to the pan before some red wine. This can be replaced by stock but is a good addition if you have some as it adds some extra depth to the flavour.
Cook's Tip: Freeze leftover wine in an icecube tray then pop into a plastic bag or freezer-proof container once frozen and keep in the freezer until required.
The stock is added and the sausages returned to the pan to complete the cooking. I like to serve this with Crème fraîche on the side so that everyone can add just the amount they like but alternatively, you could stir 4 to 5 tablespoon into the sauce at the end of cooking.
Serve with pasta, rice or mash and enjoy.
Easy Sausage Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 good pork sausages
- 2 onions sliced
- 200 g button mushrooms halved or left whole
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 450 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 150 ml red wine or extra stock
- Crème fraîche, to serve to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown the sausages on all sides over a high heat.
- Remove from the pan and reduce the heat, stir in the onions and fry gently for 5 to 10 minutes until soft and golden. Add the mushrooms and fry for another minute or two.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the stock and red wine, then bring to the boil stirring constantly.
- Return the sausages to the pan. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve topped with a spoonful of crème fraîche.