We have all heard of Goulash, a Hungarian dish made with beef, red peppers, tomatoes and flavoured with paprika. But have you tried chicken goulash, it's quicker to make and tastes great too.
Chicken and Potato Goulash is
- One pot
- Family Favourite
Beef goulash may be one of our favourite casseroles, so much so it was one of the first recipes I shared on Recipes Made Easy. But although the beef braised in a rich tomato sauce flavoured with paprika and sweet peppers tastes amazing it does require quite a long time for the ingredients to do their magic.
Step forward Chicken Goulash!
Chicken does not need the long slow cooking that the beef in a traditional goulash require in order to become tender so it is great casserole for when time is short.
And the great news is that the Chicken works just as well with the tomatoes, peppers and paprika.
You can use skinned and boned chicken breasts or thighs in this casserole or a mixture of the two. I find chicken thighs tend to have more flavour and they are cheaper too.
one pot easy chicken and potato goulash
To further make it time saving I have added small potatoes to the casserole so that you can have a complete meal in one pot. It saves on the washing up too! That said I like to try serve at least one green vegetable with each meal so I often serve with some broccoli or cabbage on the side.
I used baby Charlotte potatoes cutting some of the larger ones in half. Any variety of waxy potato will be fine and if they are large cut them into bite size pieces.
As with traditional goulash, this easy chicken and potato goulash is delicious served with some sour cream or crème fraîche. You can also use natural yogurt but I would go for a nice creamy one if you do, rather than low fat as this will split when stirred in to the hot casserole.
Step by step easy chicken and potato goulash
Easy Chicken and Potato Goulash
- 4 chicken breasts or 8 chicken thighs skinned and boned
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 large onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 red peppers seeded and sliced
- 800 g baby waxy potatoes halved if large
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crème fraîche or sour cream to serve
- Cut 4 chicken breasts or 8 chicken thighs into bite size chunks.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil on a large pan and fry the chicken quickly until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Reduce the heat and add 1 tablespoon oil and 2 sliced onions. Cook gently for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic, 2 sliced red peppers and 800g (1¾lb) baby potatoes to the pan.
- Sprinkle over 2 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoon paprika and stir to mix.
- Stir in 300ml stock, 400g (14oz) canned tomatoes, 1 tablespoon tomato puree and 1teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Cover and cook gently for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve with a little crème fraîche or sour cream spooned on top.