Blackberries sunk into an almond frangipane with just a hint of rosemary baked in a rich crumbly pastry case. Perfect with a cup of tea or coffee it is also makes a great dessert.
Wow, it has been quite some year for blackberries and they just keep on coming, even the hedgerows seem full of them. In the past I have made jams or used them with apples in various puddings. I've made a fabulous blackberry sorbet and some really delicious blackberry brownies. This week I have teamed them with almonds and baked them in a pastry case. And it's a darn good combination.
This tart makes a delicious make ahead dessert which is good enough for a dinner party. In fact this very tart was my dessert offering at a dinner party with friends, where it was served with whipped cream flavoured with cassis. I liked the extra berry flavour it added. I also served some clotted cream alongside and both worked well. Much as I love frangipane tarts, I wanted to pimp up the flavour a little. – Frangipane the name of this sponge like filling made with ground almonds. – So for extra almondy flavour, I added some almond extract I also added some finely chopped rosemary. I think the slightly floral flavour of the rosemary compliments the blackberries and almond perfectly.
Blackberry, Almond and Rosemary Tart
- 250 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 125 g butter cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg yolk
- about 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 125 g butter softened
- 125 g golden caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 150 g ground almonds
- 6 tablespoon blackberry or blackcurrant jam
- 200 g blackberries
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (180℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6. Place the flour in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the icing sugar and orange zest. Add the egg yolk (keep the white you will need it later) and enough orange juice to mix to a dough.
- Roll out the pastry on a well floured work surface and use to line a 23cm (9in) deep fluted flan tin. Lightly prick the base with a fork and chill for 10 minutes in the freezer.
- Line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake blind on a baking sheet for 10 minutes, then remove the parchment and beans and bake for another 8-10 minutes until pale golden.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Beat the butter and sugar together until very pale and fluffy, then beat in the whole egg. Beat well before adding the egg white and beat again. Fold in the almond extract, rosemary and the ground almonds.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180℃ (160℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 4. Spread the jam carefully over the base of the pastry case. Then spoon in the almond filling and spread level in the case.
- Arrange the blackberries over the surface of the tart and press down gently into the almond filling.
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes until the filling is risen and golden. Allow to cool. Just before serving remove rom the tin and place on a serving dish, then lightly dust with a little icing sugar.