Couscous is simple to prepare and makes a great alternative to rice to serve with casseroles and stews.
Step by step couscous
Place the couscous into a bowl, add the salt and pour in the water.
Leave to soak for 10 minutes
Use your fingers rub the oil into the couscous
Dot with butter cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes until heated through.
Remove from the oven and fluff up with a fork. serve plain or topped with a sprinkling of toasted talked almonds and chopped coriander.
- 250 g couscous
- ¼ –½ teaspoon salt
- 400 ml warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive or rapeseed oil
- 25 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/160℃ fan/gas mark 4
- Rinse and drain the couscous and tip into a bowl. Add the salt then pour in the water. Allow to stand for 10 minutes or until the couscous has absorbed the water.
- Add the oil and rub into the couscous grains with your fingers, then transfer the couscous to an ovenproof dish.
- Dot the top with the butter and cover with a sheet of foil. Bake for 15 minutes to heat through.
- Fluff up with a fork and serve.