Quick and easy to make Beetroot Hummus makes a great dip to snack on. Serve with pitta bread or vegetable crudities. Or serve spread on bread for a light lunch or snack.
- Quick and Easy
- Cheap and Cheerful
- Easy Entertaining
- Vegan (without the feta garnish)
I love hummus and I am not alone. since hummus first appeared on the supermarkets’ shelves in the 1980’s (Waitrose were the first to stock it) our love of hummus has grown. We’re well known as the hummus capital of Europe, with 41% of us having a tub in our fridge according to a survey of fridge habits in 2013, when we made our way through 12,000 tonnes of it that year. Fast forward 5 years and I don’t see that love affair abating, in fact, it wouldn’t surprise me, given the growing interest in middle eastern foods if we eat even more now.
I often make my own Easy Hummus using an adaped Claudia Roden recipe, and I have played around with cooking my own chickpeas first which is really quick in a pressure cooker. Check out my How to Cook Chickpeas post if you want to cook your own. More recently I have been playing around with adding different flavours. My current favourite is this beetroot hummus. The beetroot gives it a lovely earthy flavour which I think works really well. Look at the colour too it’s so vibrant it just makes you want to dip in.
For this recipe, I’ve used canned chickpeas and ready cooked beetroot which you can buy vacuum packed from the greengrocery section of the supermarket. If you prefer you can cook your own beetroot. Boil for about 30 -45 minutes depending on size until tender when pierced with a skewer. Allow to cool, peel and continue with the recipe. Alternatively roast chunks of peeled beetroot at 200℃ (190℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6 for about 30-40 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool before continuing.
The crumbled feta cheese on top is optional but I love the salty tang it adds to the dish. Chopped fresh mint also works really well with it. Serve with tortilla chips, pitta bread or vegetable sticks for dipping. Or simply spread on to fresh crusty bread for a light snack or lunch. Delicious!
Easy beetroot hummus
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 250 g cooked beetroot cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon finely grated zest and juice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- feta cheese, to serve (optional)
- Drain the chickpeas, reserve a little of the canning liquid.
- Place in a food processor, with the beetroot and blitz until finely chopped.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, zest, garlic, 2 tbsp of olive oil. Season well with salt. Blitz again to form a creamy paste adding enough of the cooking/canning liquid to get the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and crumble the feta cheese on top if using. Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve
Click on the Images below for More Beetroot Recipes Made Easy
I’m linking this post to #CookBlogShare hosted this week at Easy Peasy Foodie