Braised Red Cabbage
This braised red cabbage has a delicious sweet-sour flavour enhanced by the addition of beetroot.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
- 700 g red cabbage cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 175 g pickled beetroot cut into thin sticks
- 25 g light muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar from the beetroot
- 2 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- generous pinch ground cloves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Layer the 700g (1½lb) shredded red cabbage and 1 large sliced onion in a large saucepan and scatter 175g (6oz) shredded beetroot on top.
Sprinkle over 25g (1oz) sugar and pour in the 100ml (4floz)stock and 4tbsp vinegar.
Season with the ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground allspice, punch cloves, salt and pepper.
Toss to combine.
Cover and cook gently for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until the cabbage is tender.
Nutrition information is calculated using an online nutrition database - is approximate and is meant as a guideline only. (It does not include seasoning with salt and pepper.)
- If making without the beetroot, double the amount of balsamic or red wine vinegar.
- ½ -1 tsp ground mixed spice can be used in place of the individual spices.
Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 125mg | Potassium: 411mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1347IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg