Beany Lamb Hot pot
This hot pot is perfect for filling up the family on cold days
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Servings 4 – 6
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 500 g lean lamb cubed
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 courgettes (zucchini) cut into chunks
- 1 small aubergine (egg plant) cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 150 ml lamb or vegetable stock
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can mixed beans rinsed and drained
- 800 g potatoes thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 180℃ (160℃ fan)/350°F/gas mark 4. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the lamb over high heat until browned on all sides.
Reduce the heat and add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Then add 1 sliced onion and cook gently until beginning to soften. Stir in 2 courgettes and 1 small aubergine cut into chunks and sprinkle with flour.
Add 150ml (¼pt)stock and 400g (14oz) can of chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil, then stir in 400g (14oz)) drained can of beans.
Thinly slice 800g (1lb 12oz) of potatoes and arrange a layer of potatoes in the base of an ovenproof casserole dish. Then spoon half the lamb mixture on top. Add another layer of potatoes and the remaining lamb mixture. Finish with a layer of potatoes on top.
Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
Remove the lid and brush the potatoes with a little olive oil and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes or until the potato is golden and crispy Serve with Green beans or broccoli on the side.
Nutrition information is calculated using an online nutrition database - is approximate and is meant as a guideline only. (It does not include seasoning with salt and pepper.)
- This casserole with serve 4 hungry adults or up to 6 people with smaller appetites. any left overs can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat until piping hot.
- Getting the ingredients together and preparing them as directed in the ingredient list before you start makes it easier to follow the recipe
- I've used a tin of mixed beans ,but haricot or borlotti beans also work well.
Calories: 520kcal | Carbohydrates: 58.26g | Protein: 40.36g | Fat: 15.6g | Saturated Fat: 3.91g | Cholesterol: 82.5mg | Sodium: 741.41mg | Potassium: 2177.14mg | Fiber: 17.18g | Sugar: 10.36g | Vitamin A: 419.21IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 172.31mg | Iron: 12.16mg