First made over 150 years ago, granola has become a favourite breakfast cereal all over the world. Easy to make, my homemade apricot, pecan and coconut granola combines some of my favourite dried fruits and nuts. It tastes delicious!
Homemade Apricot, Pecan and Coconut Granola
Despite the fact that a lot of shop bought granola is a little too sweet to our tastes, over the years granola has become a favourite choice for breakfast in our household. Having finally got around to making my own, which I have been meaning to do for some time now, I find myself wondering why I didn’t do it earlier!
Seriously, I am sure that, if you give it a try, you will think just the same. It’s really easy to make, just a few minutes of chopping the fruit and nuts and measuring the ingredients, mix them and pop them in the oven to bake. Job done! It tastes so much better than anything from a packet.
The great thing about making it at home is that you control what goes into the granola. You can vary the ingredients using your favourite dried fruits and nuts, which is what I did when making this granola. I was tempted to add cranberries as I have a bit of thing for dried cranberries, but felt I had used them rather a lot recently (and I have another recipe coming soon with dried cranberries). So I opted for the apricots instead.
Feel free to chop and change to suit yourself. It won’t be long before I make it again and, highly likely, again and again. When I find my next favourite combination, I’ll come back and share it with you. In the meantime I would love to hear from you about your favourite combinations.
How Do You Like Your Granola?
I like my granola with a few clumpy bits in it so I did not stir it after adding the final ingredients. If you like yours crumbly, stir once or twice during the second baking and before cooling.
When it comes to serving I like mine with milk but it’s fabulous with yogurt too and makes a delicious snack as it is.
Step by Step Apricot Pecan and Coconut Granola
Apricot, Pecan and Coconut Granola
- 125 ml maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 300 g jumbo porridge oats
- 100 g pecans nuts , roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 150 g dried apricots , chopped
- 50 g flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 150℃ (130℃ fan)/350°F /gas mark 2.
- Combine the maple syrup, oil and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and add the oats. Add the pecans, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, then stir until well combined and coated in the maple syrup.
- Tip the mixture onto one large or two smaller baking trays and spread out in a thin, even layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle the apricots and coconut over the mixture, and stir to mix.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the oats and nuts are nicely toasted and the coconut is just beginning to colour.
- Remove the trays from the oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container until required.
You may also like these oaty Recipes Made Easy
I’m linking this recipe to #CookBlogShare hosted here by Kirsty at Hijacked by Twins Do pop over and check what other bloggers are sharing